CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Help Me Hate Winter A Little Less

I need your help.  Well, I don’t really need your help (check back here often, as someday I personally will need your help, I know), but there are a lot of people around the Denver metro area who need your help!

I’ve been a bit inspired by Dave Price, the weather guy on the CBS Early Show. Yes, of course, he’s an adorable member of the Tribe, on whom I have a gigantic TV anchor crush, but that’s totally beside the point.  Right now he’s doing his second annual “No Way Home” segment for the show, where he has to get from the West Coast (in this case, Anchorage, AK) back to the GM Building in New York City in a week.

There are two basic rules to his trip: he can’t fly more than 1,000 miles, and he can’t just be given stuff – he has to earn it. To say Dave’s had a rough go of it would be an understatement and a cliché.  It’s been, an “adventure,” and I’ve been geekily following him on twitter, and the CBS Early Show site, and while funny, you do kinda feel bad for the guy.

Twice he has lost his coat, and he’s not even east of the Rockies yet. And it’s cold out there. But let’s be honest – he’s walking around with a camera crew, and probably is afforded a lot more liberties than say a homeless family or vet, right?

Some of you know that I hate winter. OK – hate is a strong word, so I strongly dislike winter. A lot. I complain about walking the dogs in the morning, or having to walk from the gym to the car. But I have a place to work, a place to sleep, and I can always stop for an overpriced specialty coffee if I am really cranky. So many people here in the metro area don’t. They must really hate winter. And this is where you come in.

I am collecting new and gently used coats for folks in the Denver Metro Area.  I have a closet full of coats that I really don’t wear that often, ok AT ALL, and that’s just a starting point.  If you are more organized than I am, and you’ve already cleaned your closet, then visit your local charity thrift/second hand shop and help two groups at once!  

If you’d like to help, please send me an e-mail at ADDcrafter@gmail.com, or find me on twitter.  I’ll even come pick them up from you, or meet you half-way if you live in south nowhere or something like that (I don’t really “do” south of Belleview, as again, some of you know).

I don’t have a firm goal yet, but I am thinking 100 coats would be a good starting point, and pretty darn easy to hit. In fact, I think it's a totally ninny goal.  I guess as a social media geek (and by no means a self appointed guru), I’d also really love to see this go a little viral, so please tell your friends, family and followers. Perhaps they can do the same thing where they live.

Thanks in advance for your help – let’s make this winter a little warmer for Denver’s less fortunate! 

2 comments:

Andra said...

I should be able to dig an old coat or two out of the closet Carrie. Deadlines? When do you want them? Tweet it away!

Carrie said...

Hi Andra - I am hoping to collect through that first week in December. I am thinking I'll donate to Coats for Colorado, or Denver Rescue Mission!